How to make an outfit like unto Anne

      I would like to give a shoutout to my friend Sarah, who was kind enough to be my editor for this post. Thanks so much!
       

          Most people have a fashion inspiration. These days it seems to be some celebrity they follow on Instagram. Personally, most of mine lived at least 100 years ago. Some of my biggest fashion influences have been Eowyn and hobbits from Lord of the Rings, and most fashion from the 1800’s up to the 1950’s. Probably my earliest and biggest fashion inspiration was Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel. When I was younger, it was an ideal which I was never able to attain. I would wear a skirt that kinda looked old fashioned with a slightly ugly blouse, but it was never very satisfying as I never quite got the look I wanted. Only recently have I actually taken steps to figure out ways to make my wardrobe like unto Anne’s, and while not perfect, it gives me scope for the imagination.
     It is a common misconception that dressing in a way that evokes a bygone era is hard and expensive. I am here to prove that such is not the case. I am 18, unemployed, and do not sew much. In spite of this, I have managed to gather a nice enough wardrobe as to make my friends consider me quite classy. The key knowing where to look. Resale shops are a gold mine for cool and unusual articles of clothing, and they are usually at a discount price. There are plenty of blouses, skirts, and shoes that with a little imagination can be used to very good effect- you just have to think outside the box.
     *** Let me put out a quick disclaimer here: this is by no means period correct. These are not the kind of clothes you could wear in an reenactment. This is meant to explain how to dress in a way that brings back the past using modern clothing. The fashion that I am about to model for you is from the Anne of Green Gables movies. In the books Anne is a young women around the 1880’s, but the movie seems to have pushed it up more towards the 1890’s, almost to the turn of the century. If you have always loved the way Anne dresses, or fashion from the late 1800’s, this is the post for you.

Step One: The Poof

This first thing you need in order to build your outfit is some sort of crinoline in order to make your skirt stand out from your body in period style. I'm not sure if it more historically accurate to wear something more like a hoop skirt, but I don't own one, and I have several crinolines. I have found all of mine at thrift stores in the formal/wedding dress section. Halloween is a great time to look also. The crinoline should be about as long as your skirt.. I like to pin up a bit of the crinoline in back, which adds a little poof out the back, forming a bustle. As undignified as this sounds, I also sometimes put a bit of folded up fabric in my leggings at the lower back area to add a poof. Professional tip. ;)


This woman has a small bustle.

Step Two: The Blouse

A well-fitting, high-collared blouse is an essential when recreating Anne’s look. The most realistic choice would be a long sleeved blouse, but that is rather hot in the summer, and I do not own one. White is a nice color choice, but I think just about anything that is not gaudy would work. A small broach at the neck is a nice touch.



These two pictures of women from the 1890’s illustrate perfectly what kind of shirt you should look for. Obviously mine is quite different, but it is something to strive for!

Step Three: The Skirt

The skirt is an important part in order to get the correct look for your outfit. The one I have is very wide and long. It also has belt loops, which is awesome. Black, grey, brown, or any darker color works well. It needs to be pretty darn long in order to get the correct look and to work with a crinoline. A belt or sash is a nice touch to pull the shirt and skirt together.



Here are three of Anne’s skirts. I really, really love the last one, which is actually from the first move. If I found a skirt like that I might faint. :)



I just love this picture. It’s almost like Anne and her friends in real life.

Step Four: The Boots

The footwear is a very important part of your outfit. Dainty boots peeping demurely from under poofy skirts is a necessity. Unfortunately, boots that look like they come from the 1800’s are a bit hard to find. I know they are available online, but who wants to buy shoes online? I make it work with modern day boots. 


But these are the ideal. 

Step Five: The Hair

Now, I will be the first to admit that my hair is not that great. In the movie, Anne’s hairstyle is a type of the Gibson Girl, a popular hairstyle from the 1890-1910, and mine is not. I have never been able to master the Gibson Girl. Instead, I usually try to get a bit of poof around my face and a high bun. If you are interested, there are a few hairstyle tutorials for the Gibson Girl on Youtube. This one really achieves the basic look.. You can also look at this one, and this one.




The picture in the middle is of Anne’s extreme hair. During the movie her hair gets bigger, and bigger, and even bigger. The rest of them are a bit more realistic.



This is when Anne’s hair blows up, but it is very dramatic and romantic so I let it slide. 




Hairstyles from 1890-1910. 

Many more hairstyles were popular at that time, and I recommend doing some research if you are interested.

Step Six: The Accessories

The hat is an important staple for any outfit before the late 1960’s. Mine does not exactly meet my expectations, so I am keeping my eye out for a better one. If you are looking for a hat, I recommend resale shops and antique shops. And remember, you can ALWAYS re-decorate a hat.




Anne’s hats are always so fun! Just wonderful...


Except this one. What were they thinking?



Hats from the 1890’s.

The Final Product 

And that, my friends, is all. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and bit of fashion history, and that this has inspired you to explore Victorian/Edwardian fashion on your own. Have fun!

Comments